“Make a choice and learn to be happy with it”
Datuk Abdul Farid Alias, CEO of Maybank Group
April 1 2016
1) Had the pleasure of listening to Datuk Farid Alias speak last night on values as a leader. He may be CEO of Maybank Group, but his aura tells you that he is also your friend.
2) Datuk Farid claims to be an introvert, but is a very approachable one. It tells you that being an introvert aint all a bad thing.
3) Datuk proposes that to be a Maybank CEO one must be – Superman (strong) Albert Einstein (intelligent) Ronald Reagan (great speaker) and Oprah (have a huge fan base)
4) In the beginning of one’s career, attention should be given to develop oneself. As you get older it is no longer about you, but your people.
5) It’s important to work with a sense of purpose. You can put extraordinary people to work together in a team yet they produce ordinary results. Why? Because most of the time they are vested in self-interest and lack purpose.
6) Tying to point #4, company culture is an important factor to the success of an organisation. Most of the time we neglect this. Leaders must work harder to cultivate a culture of being HOT – honest, open and trustworthy in its people.
7) I took away 2 key points – to be open to exposure yet to always stay grounded. Datuk Farid spoke about being an introvert and having an ordinary upbringing with commendable pride. While his experiences have taught him to make leadership adjustments where necessary, he essentially tries to stay himself. And that’s important.
When asked which superhero he liked better – “Most people hate Superman. But I like Superman. I like him because he represents everything that is good.”
I am inspired :)